On Sunday, September 28, 2014 First Baptist Church launched a second Sunday morning worship service due to the increasing addition of people attending our worship service. Our current Sunday schedule has a traditional worship service utilizing a choir, piano and organ that meets at 9:00 a.m. The later service is contemporary in style and utilizes a praise team or band. This service starts at 11:20 a.m. Both services take place in our worship center.
What to Expect
Most people new to First Baptist say that we are a warm group that cares for people. We think you will find us to be intergenerational in age, meaning that we are comprised of people whose ages range from babies to senior adults. Truly we are a church that is one big family.
Our Sunday morning worship services are the “front door” into our church. We invite you to get to know us better as we connect more with you through our Sunday school ministry which happens each Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Here, we meet in small groups and walk together in how to live the Christian life. Most people at First Baptist will say their deepest relationships are with those in their Sunday school group.
We are a diverse group of people. You will find that from an attire standpoint on Sunday mornings, while some will wear coats and ties or dresses, most adults follow a business casual attire. We would say, “Come as you are, leave closer to God.”
Mission Statement: To be used of God in reaching the lost and teaching the saved to be followers of Christ. In other words, we proclaim the gospel and make disciples.
(1) To be a dynamic spiritual organism empowered by the Holy Spirit to
communicate the Good News of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ with as many people as
possible in our church, community, and throughout the world.
(2) To be a worshiping fellowship, experiencing an awareness of God, recognizing
His person, and responding in obedience to His leadership.
(3) To experience an increasingly meaningful fellowship with God and fellow
believers, to help people experience a growing knowledge of God and man.
(4) To be a church that ministers unselfishly to persons in the community and the
world in Jesus’ name.
(5) To be a church whose purpose is to be Christ-like in our daily living by
emphasizing total commitment of life, personality, and possessions to the lordship of Christ.
(6) In obedience to God, as a Christ-centered body of believers, we commit to
disciple, enable, and encourage one another to love, worship, and serve our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Furthermore, we commit to share the Good News and ourselves with our neighbors in the First
Baptist Church of Hondo, in the surrounding communities, and throughout the world.
(1) The Scriptures are true, authoritative, and sufficient. (2 Timothy 3:16-17.)
(2) There is only one God. (Isaiah 45:5-6; John 17:3, 1 Corinthians 8:6; 1
(3) God exists co-eternally and co-equally in three distinct persons: the Father, the
Son, and the Holy Spirit. (Genesis 1:26; Matthew 3:16-17; John 1:1-2; 10:30.)
(4) I am, along with all humanity (Christ excluded) by nature and action a sinner. (Romans 3:23; 5:12, 12-21; 7:18; Ephesians 2:1-3; 2 Corinthians 5:21.)
(5) The deserved penalty for sin is death, both physical and spiritual. (Genesis
2:15-17; 3:19; Romans 5:12; 6:23; James 1:14-15.)
(6) Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, was born of a virgin, and is both fully God
and fully man. See Matthew 1:20; John 1:14; Hebrews 1:2-3.
(7) Christ died as my substitute to pay the penalty for my sin. (John 1:29; 10:14-
18; Romans 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 1:4, 1 Peter 3:18.
(8) Jesus Christ physically rose from the dead. (Matthew 28:1-20; Mark 16:1-8;
Luke 24:1-53; John 20:1-25; 1 Corinthians 15:12-34.)
(9) Jesus Christ physically ascended into heaven and will one day physically return.
(John 14:3; Acts 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:16; Hebrews 9:28; 1 John 3:2; Revelation 1:7.)
(10) There will be a resurrection of the dead. Those who trust in Jesus Christ alone
will be raised to eternal reward. Those who have not trusted in Jesus Christ will be raised to
eternal punishment. (Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15.)
(11) Only through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ alone can I be
reconciled to God and experience true life and joy. (John 3:18; 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans
3:21-26; 1 Timothy 2:5-6.)
We regard the scriptures of the Holy Bible as authoritative in all matters of faith,
practice, and principle. We recognize the ordinances of the church as Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. First Baptist Church affirms as our doctrinal statement The Baptist Faith and
Message as adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in 1963.
Purpose Of The Church
The First Baptist Church of Hondo exists to:
(1) Worship God. To participate in public worship services together and to maintain
personal daily devotions. (Matthew 18:20; John 4:24; Hebrews 10:24-25.)
(2) Evangelize the Lost. To share the good news of Jesus Christ with as many people
as possible in our community and throughout the world. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; 2
(3) Minister to Those in Need. To serve unselfishly in Jesus’ name, meeting the
physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of those in our church community and in the world. (Matthew 25:34-40; 1 Peter 4:10-11; Galatians 5:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:11.)
(4) Develop Disciples. To help members develop toward full Christian maturity and
train them for effective ministry. To promote individual spiritual growth and discipleship
through Bible teaching. (2 Timothy 2:1-2; Ephesians 4:11-13; Proverbs 22:6.)
(5) Fellowship with One Another. To encourage, support, and pray for each other as
members of the family of God and to share our lives together. (John 13:34-35; Romans 15:5-
7; 1 John 1:7; Acts 2:46-47; Hebrews 10:23-25.)